View My Stats

Thursday, June 10, 2010

On Uruguay vs. France: Who will win.




























The other game taking place on opening day is between Group A sides Uruguay and France. I thought I would go ahead and try to predict how that one will turn out, as well as the rest of the games that take place.

So, without further ado, here's my prediction: Uruguay 1-0 France.

I know, I'm calling the upsets pretty often here, but I like Uruguay's chances in this one. Especially considering how terrible France has been playing lately. On top of that, their defense has looked considerably shaky recently, and Gallas is dreadfully out of form. I think they'll have a hard time keeping a very in form Diego Forlan and the criminally underrated striker Luis Suarez out of the box.

Uruguay is also in their first World Cup since 1990, and the country that won the first World Cup ever in 1930 is hungry for a shot at another one. They've also got a lot more depth than they are given credit for, and the Pereiras (Maxi and Alvaro) are great attacking midfielders out on the wings.

They will probably have problems keeping France at bay in defense, but I don't think France will be able to finish well at all. I base that on them being unable to score against TUNISIA and only be able to tie CHINA (with one goal a piece). France is not playing well together, they have great talent, but something just isn't working.

Another thing: Uruguay and South Africa are at similar elevations (in fact, South Africa is lower) and they have similar climates. This is a major concern for European teams whose players come from lowland, moderate climates. Especially France.

In short, I think Uruguay will "shock the world" and eek out a victory against France. Think I'm being too bold? Think there's no way in hell France took those friendlies seriously? Comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://footballthegreatest.blogspot.com/